How Do You Live With A Ghost?

When we were planning our lengthy vacation, we looked at a number of different places to rent. We had a variety of different options, but eventually settled on a newly renovated luxury, 1600 square feet, 2 bedroom condo directly in front of the beach. We walk out the front door and we have nothing but ocean in front of us – it seemed so perfect!

When we first arrived, I went through all the rooms. While all the different rooms I went into felt absolutely fabulous, the minute I walked into the bedroom we intended to put the kids in, I got a really strange feeling. It’s difficult to describe, but the room just felt different from all the other rooms. However, I attributed what I felt to fatigue, as we did arrive here at 3am. That first night, the kids slept in the master bedroom with us.

The next day, I made Z and G hang out with me for a little bit in the second room because I wanted them to start to get used to their room. Z kept insisting he was scared to be in there. Despite his complaints I put them in that room that night but decided to sleep in the room with them to reassure Z.

That night I left the door partially closed because Matthew was still awake when we went to bed and I didn’t want the TV in the living room to wake the kids up. Sometime in the middle of the night, I just woke up wide awake. I looked over to the door and it was wide open. My first thought was that Matthew must have opened the door some time in the middle of the night. Both kids were sound asleep. I drifted back to sleep and I don’t know how long I must have slept for but, once again, I was startled awake and I’m not even sure why. It was still dark in the room, both kids were still sound asleep, but when I looked over to the door, it was back to being partially closed. I thought that was odd, but once again thought Matthew must have come in to check in on us.

That morning, I casually asked Matthew about the door and he gave me a puzzled look. Apparently, he had checked in on us quickly before he went to bed, but swears he left the door partially closed when he left, the same exact way I had done it in the beginning.

OK. At this point, I’m starting to get that uneasy feeling but since we’ll be here for all of November, I put it all aside and decide I’m not going to think too much about it. That same night, I decide I’m going to sleep in the kids’ room again. Matthew had already gone to bed in the master. I wasn’t quite tired yet, so I decided to stay up and read. On the bedside table, I left a little lamp on and turned everything else off.

I became deeply engrossed in my reading for a time, but I was interrupted because I thought I saw something flutter out of the corner of my eye. I looked up but didn’t see anything. I look at the kids on the bed with me and both were sleeping heavily. I went back to reading and not a minute passed before I thought I saw something move but always just out of my direct line of vision. This time around, I’m starting to get scared. I pull the covers up, but because I am now scared I don’t want to turn the lamp off.

And what happened next is where it got really scary for me. I’m sure that some of you reading this will laugh at me and for those of you who really know me will just attribute what happened to me as Daphne being a psycho – AGAIN! Ha! But I’m going to tell you exactly how it happened and I don’t care what you think because I swear this did happen!

Ok, so at this point, I’ve put down my reading, I’ve got the bed covers up to my chin, and I’m looking around the room, just wishing frantically for daylight to come. I don’t even have a clue what time it is. I just know it’s still the middle of the night because everything was deeply quiet. While looking around the room, I start seeing shadows I didn’t notice before. But these shadows were not still, they were pulsating. They would get bigger, then smaller, then bigger. No matter how many times I opened and closed my eyes, no matter how many times I rubbed them, these shadows were moving. What was the last straw for me was when I looked up at the ceiling above me and there was a pulsating ball of light. I lost all nerve at that point. I turned the lamp off and plunged myself in complete darkness. I’d rather be in the dark than see whatever it was I was seeing! I would have run out of the room if it weren’t for Z and G. I couldn’t leave the kids. I got through that night hiding under the covers.

That morning I told Matthew I’m not sleeping in that room again and neither are the kids. I told him what happened and he didn’t laugh at me or tell me I’m crazy. He said he actually got the sense that someone died in that room – oh gee, thanks for not telling me that ahead of time!

Anyway, I think I could learn to live with this ghost. I get a strong feeling it’s an old man who died there. I know he wants us to know he’s here with us and I hope he stays nice now that we’ve acknowledged him.

This morning, I picked up my iphone which I had left charging on the kitchen counter overnight, and immediately noticed a number of deep scratches on the screen. Luckily, I have a thick screen protector, but I just thought it so strange. I know for a fact there were no scratches there last night as I was playing with my phone right up until I went to bed. Matthew thinks I might have overlooked them, but I know what I know.

How do I live with this ghost and make sure he stays nice?